What is HIRED!
Venturing beyond CYS Services doors to expand services to children and youth on-site in MWR and Family Programs.
The HIRED! Apprenticeship Program is offered through Child, Youth & School (CYS) Services and designed to meet the workforce-preparation and secondary-education exploration needs of eligible 15-18 year-old youth. The HIRED! Apprenticeship Program is run by the HIRED! Program Coordinator at CYS Services.
High School Students who are accepted into the HIRED! Apprenticeship Program are placed in twelve (12)-week-long HIRED! Apprenticeship Positions at Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) operations in the garrison. These 12-week-long positions serve as exploratory work experiences under the guidance of a dedicated on-site mentor – hence the use of the name “apprenticeship.”
HIRED! Apprenticeship Terms are twelve (12)-weeks long and purposely aligned with specific career paths designed to pave the way into college or higher education. Apprenticeships provide exploratory work experiences and help participants determine if certain career paths are viable choices for their future.
The HIRED! Apprenticeship Program is offered a total of 48 weeks per calendar year. Apprentices must commit to fifteen (15) hours within a seven (7)-day period for a total of 180 hours per HIRED! Apprenticeship Term.
HIRED! Apprenticeship Positions are designed to ensure apprentices receive valuable hands-on work experience and training, preparing youth intellectually, technically, culturally, ethically, and socially for the demands and opportunities of a highly competitive job market.
A HIRED! Apprentice serves as an ambassador for the HIRED! Apprenticeship Program. Participation and performance in the program will impress the outstanding qualities of today’s youth upon the MWR Employer and other members of the community.
HIRED! Apprenticeship Positions are designed to ensure apprentices receive valuable hands-on work experiences and training, preparing youth intellectually, technology, culturally, ethnically, and socially for the demands and opportunities of a highly competitive job market.
HIRED! Apprenticing Candidates must be eligible for the CYS Services programs. They must also be U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens of the United States and provide proof of successful completion of:
- Three (3) workforce-preparation trainings.
- Two (2) post secondary-education exploration trainings.
- One (1) financial-management workshop.
- School documentation showing a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- Currently attending high school. (Proof required)
- Must be registered with Child, School and Youth Services
- Be subject to the satisfactory completion of local police background check in accordance to Army Regulation (AR) 215-3
- Have successfully completed prerequisite HIRED! Workforce-Preparation Classes or Secondary-Education Training
- Work in a temporary capacity in a designated Moral, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) Program participating in the HIRED! Apprenticeship Program.
- Work under the supervision of a designated MWR manager.
- Receive visitors, customers and telephonic inquires.
- Direct callers to appropriate persons within the MWR Program.
- Answer inquiries from own knowledge of the MWR Program in which they are working.
- Make decision about priority and urgency of customer inquiries.
- Maintain records, revive and verify documents, and research and compile information.
- Issue and receive equipment.
- Arrange equipment and supplies for various MWR services, activities and events.
- Assist with facility maintenance, clean-up, and security, as required.
- Adhere to established customer-service standards.
- Provide customer information and general instructions, when needed.
- Initiate new ideas to enhance and/or expand activities, events, customer service or other aspects of the MWR Program.
The above-mentioned HIRED! Workforce-Preparation and Post Secondary-Education Exploration trainings are a prerequisite for participation in the HIRED! Apprenticeship Program. All training must be approved by the HIRED! Coordinator.
MWR Placement Sites
HIRED! provides career-exploration experiences by placing teens in twelve (12)-week apprenticeship positions at HIRED! Placement Sites. Some examples of HIRED! Placement Sites are:
- Bowling Center/Family Entertainment Center
- Child, Youth & School Services
- Community Gym
- Community Library
- Financial Management Division
- Fitness Facility
- Guest House/Hospitality Center
- Golf Course